Thursday 6 March 2014

A Call To Discipleship


Matthew 11:
28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Here, the Lord Jesus is calling us to come into a discipleship relationship with Him. 
He wants us to disentangle our neck from every other yoke we've been bearing about on our neck.
Sin is one of those heavy yoke that thwarts a fruitful discipleship relationship with Jesus. 

Until you get rid of sins through His mercy and grace, you cannot be yoked together with Him. Because no oxen can bear to different yokes at a time. 

Verse 30 says " For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Jesus' yoke is an easy yoke that would allow you to enter into the narrow gate that leads to life eternal. The yoke of sin and Satan is too big and heavy for the narrow gate. That's why sinners can only enter through the broad gate that leads to eternal damnation.



Taking Christ yoke comes with the responsibility of learning from Him. And Learning about His lifestyle will produce, meekness, righteousness, humility, sincerity, and all other fruits of the spirit in us. Not only that, we'll have rest for our soul. Therefore, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me" is synonymous to "follow me and I will make you fisher of men ( my disciple )". 

Note that discipleship simply means, the process through which a disciple learns to walk with the master, in order to become like the master.
Would you become like Jesus? You have to take His yoke on you, and learn from Him.

Culled from my youversion.com notes: https://www.bible.com/notes/6852348


No comments:

Post a Comment